On 03/06/15 01:04, pmailkeey . wrote:
> OSM's k=v design is completely a serious and unnecessary flaw. Similarly
> are 'categories' like man_made', and 'amenity'.
> Why can we not simply stick to hard facts rather guessing what
> categor(ies) an object fits in

This is a bit like saying XML is the wrong base format. and actually I
would agree with that, but the majority of material only works with a
k=v structure. While for a few VALUES there are potentially only one
k=v, they are very few and far between.

That there are a few keys that are confusing even when one is used to
how they work is the real problem.
amenity===shop===leisure===sport===tourism===building===landuse
Just what combination is right for a single retail building with a
leisure facility on the ground floor and accommodation above?

building=detached is another peculiarity where the closed way identifies
that fact and what is actually needed is simply building=residential
unless it's contained in an area of landuse=residential ... is the
building=residential now redundant?

The discussion recently on how a 'university' should be tagged probably
encompasses all of the circularity with the current tagging practice,
and where the hierarchy of tagging could best be agreed.

Campus area === landuse=university
Some universities are on several campuses, but there there are other
landuse areas between, AND there should be no other landuse areas
contained within the campus area, other tagging should identify water,
woodland, grass, building, and the like WITHIN the area. Same for a
shopping quarter, residential area and so on. (leisure=park rather than
landuse=park)

A retail facility is a building=retail and it's 'amenity'=convenience
although a number of uses can be listed. So rather than
amenity,shop,leisure,sport,tourism we have use= attached to building= or
area= and we use landuse= to wrap the major function of the whole ground
area ... hospital, theme_park, school, and so on ... just need an
equivalent to building= for area= where there is no actual building so
area=park between the building=apartments of a residential area.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL