On 08/09/15 07:01, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
>> I don't believe anyone's advocating the removal of existing entities.
>> > In your viaduct case above, keep the viaduct entity, remove the
>> > railway=abandoned tag, use the historical tag to describe the past of
>> > the viaduct (which exists) but don't use it to describe the railway
>> > (which doesn't).
> Note that it is not necessary to use "historical tag" for existing
> viaduct. man_made=bridge seems to fit well.

Since I live within quarter of a mile of a section of 'abandoned
railway' which used to extend several miles south and still extends
several miles north I have a perfect example of one which perhaps needs
re-tagging. There are still bridges and cuttings and while it is still
essentially 'private property' some sections have unofficial footpaths.
The section south of Broadway now has a new track (where it was dual
track originally) and a growing new station. There is an option to
continue north which would allow the preserved line to reconnect with
the existing main line. Given the problems the preserved line has had
with land slippage and having to replace 100+ year old bridges it may
never happen, but the route is protected currently but 'abandoned'. Now
if rendering changes do I need to re-tag this 'dismantled' to maintain
the current map, or is this another reason for abandoning the main map
service and providing an alternative?

While my point about the historic aspect has been dropped, this line is
also a good example of the managing of current and historic material
since the main route of the line is preserved, the goods yard at a local
army base is now being built over with a new housing development, and
while it currently exists on the ground it will slowly succumb to
progress and I have no problem with the CURRENT view of the data only
showing the elements that remain, the history is a documented fact which
just needs a slightly different style of management. It's NOT actually
been removed from the database since it is still fully documented in the
change log, so all we are talking about is semantics and allowing a view
of the data that can be rendered using the existing tools.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL