On Tue moltonel 3x Combo wrote:
> If you go that route, there's no limit to how far back an old name can
> go. That'd mean that we should add, for example, all of [Dublin's old
> names][1] to the osm object, since they are well documented. It would

Reading any old document or fiction would benefit from freely available
data affixing the then used place names to present world places. There
are numerous centuries old travel diaries that use "old" spellings of place
names, and if they were available, one could follow them more precisely.
Btw. I'm not against having two different keys for "a not current name but
living people have used it 'daily' " and "an old name that is only in
documents. The old abandoned names still refer to the present day object.

--
alv