On 23/09/2015 11:53, joost schouppe wrote:
... I don't know how we could expect OSM-carto to reflect all our needs. Apart from being a tool for mappers (i.e. showing as much as possible), it also wants to be pretty and useful for non-mappers. Trying to make everyone happy might make everyone unhappy in the end.

I completely agree with that. https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/CARTOGRAPHY.md sums up what it's trying to do, and to be fair that does say that the three main aims "pull in different directions". For comparison I recently had a look at the OSM map style as it was in April 2014, and personally I'm not convinced that progress has been made in two of the three areas mentioned as goals (specfically detail's less visible, the design _is_ clearer (as in more coherent) and it's not any easier to customise).

If you want to make people who need paths happy, just send them to waymarkedtrails.org <http://waymarkedtrails.org> or to opentopomap.org <http://opentopomap.org> . And if that doesn't make you happy, use overpass-turbo (e.g. http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/bCm) to highlight the features you need. And show them in a pretty map with umap (see http://www.mappa-mercia.org/2014/09/creating-an-always-up-to-date-map.html for instructions). (Yes, the performance of umap/overpass combo isn't great, that could really use some improvement. And yes, it would be nice if osm.org <http://osm.org> was more of a portal for all of us special needs people)

To add to that, creating "a personal map style" of a small area using https://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/manually-building-a-tile-server-14-04/ whilst not for everyone, isn't that difficult these days, and it doesn't require huge server resources. There are also canned options such as Mapbox of course if you want someone to host it for you. It'd be nice if there was a way to see the tiles on osm.org without resorting to cludges such as http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:SomeoneElse/Your_tiles_from_osm.org though.

Cheers

Andy (SomeoneElse)