Hi Dave,

Am 29.03.2016 um 22:45 schrieb Dave F:
> Because IRC works in real time. Contributors have to be in the same time
> zone (or stay up really late/ get up really early). It's biased towards
> densely populated zones ie Northern Europe or East coast if North America.

You will face this problem with every type of communication, even email.
You will have a slower conversation if the other contributors live 9
hours off your local time.

> As it has no record facility it turns into the equivalent of little
> groups huddling away secretively in the corner of the room to have a
> whispered conversation; something that only teenage girls usually do.

Do really want to read the full log of a chat room? Do you yourself
really do that? Reading the archive of a mailing list gets
time-consuming if there are many postings. But you have email subjects
and threading at a mailing list archive which is not available at a
Slack/IRC/XMPP channel. Note that people write emails slower than a chat
messages and therefore the text is well thought out (I hope, sometimes
this is not true) and therefore easier to read.

Best regards

Michael