The way I understand it, it simply adds an extra tag if the user adds a
wikimedia tag, don't seriously think that counts as a mechanical edit in
the sense of our guidelines.

Naturally (see previous wikidata discussions) it is questionable why it
is necessary to add a tag that can automatically be determined from the
other attributes of the object (as this feature proves without doubt).

Simon