Sorry that it took me a while to reply, I was out of office and just came
back now.

Il giorno 10 giu 2016, alle ore 21:07, Minh Nguyen <
m...@nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us> ha scritto:

is this your interpretation or is it explicitly defined like this? I'm
astonished that these 2 concepts are supposedly structured vertically and
not horizontally in wikidata

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q486972> is defined in Wikidata as a subset
of <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q56061>. I agree that this is a suboptimal
relationship – anyone can edit

it's not a big problem to have errors in the relations as long as everybody
can agree that it's an error and should be corrected. But the fact that
this wrong relation still sits in there and doesn't actually get corrected
is a bit troubling, particularly as this is IMHO a major bug which has
influence on all settlements that are in wikidata.

Another issue I believe to have found in this item looking at
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q486972 :
the first words, (I believe it is meant to be the definition, although it
does not explicitly say so,) are "densely populated geographic location

   - populated place
   - settlement
   - human community
   - inhabited place"

   -

   - Now when you think about a ghost town, it clearly is a human
   settlement, but this definition falls short in covering it. I would prefer,
   rather than a collection of related terms (human community, inhabited place
   etc), a complete sentence that defines the term, e.g. "a human settlement
   is a place where a community of humans lives or lived and decided in the
   past to settle and create dwellings." (surely could be improved, just an
   example).

There are lots of unanswered questions in wikidata, and probably, by
judging from the current state of the data, not enough editors to manage to
look through all of it.

Another issue that comes to mind: what about contradictions between an
article and a wikidata object? How is the relationship between the articles
and wikidata? Apparently, you can only associate on article to one item, so
this suggests a strong relationsship, but clearly there are articles in
many languages, and there will be lots of contradictions between those
languages (because there are lots of articles, and because nearly noone
cross checks different languages). IMHO it would have been a better idea to
have a less strong relationship, something like "this article has
information about this item" (and hence allow multiple articles to be
associated with an object) rather than what it seems conceptually to be
thought of now (the articles and this wikidata object deal with the same
thing, are the same thing, here in article form and here as mathematical
relations).
For me these are just more indications that we should not base automatic
edits on this source at the moment.

Generally, in OSM we are proud about the high quality of our data, because
the mappers base their work on first hand experience and human judgement,
and we shouldn't give these up just to gain a little more editing
convenience (IMHO).

We do have very strict guidelines for imports and automated edits, and IMHO
this new features falls into the second category...

Cheers,
Martin

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_edits