Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist <at> gmail.com> writes:

> sent from a phone
>
> Il giorno 08 giu 2016, alle ore 18:44, Michael Reichert <nakaner <at>
gmx.net> ha scritto:

> >> Am 08.06.2016 um 17:59 schrieb Bryan Housel:
> >> - When setting Wikipedia field value, also set corresponding Wikidata
tag (worked on by Minh Nguyễn)

> > Isn't this a kind of mechanical edit which should be discussed on this
> > mailing list *beforehand*?
>
> I also see this critical, if I understood correctly what it means, as the
relationship between Wikipedia
> articles and wikidata items is not 1:1. Yes, the initial wikidata set has
been created from Wikipedia
> articles, but looking at a topic very important to osm, places and
administrative entities, you'll find
> that Wikipedia articles often cover both, a place and the administrative
entity for/of this place, but
> wikidata objects often do not cover both. Adding a wp link to a place
object (typically node) in osm can be
> correct while at the same time adding the wikidata object that corresponds
to the wp article would not be
> (because it refers to the administrative entity)

If I understand correctly, you’re referring to a situation where, for
instance, Wikipedia editors have opted to discuss both an “administrative
territorial entity” and its government in the same article, whereas Wikidata
editors have decided to separate the concepts into two different items, yet
one of the Wikidata items still links to the unified Wikipedia article. Can
you think of an item that would be problematic in this way? How often would
this situation come up on newly tagged features?

In practice, Wikidata gives the various Wikipedia editions a strong
incentive to agree on the scope of an item, because a Wikidata item can only
link to one Wikipedia article per language and a Wikipedia article can only
link to one Wikidata item.

Wikipedia tends to be proactive about creating separate articles when
there’s a notable distinction between the various meanings of a name, but
Wikidata follows suit almost as a rule. So there is a 1:1 correspondence
between the various meanings of China on the English Wikipedia and the
various Wikidata items for those meanings. `wikipedia=en:China` maps to
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q148>, which is for the People's Republic. If
the mapper had a different definition of China in mind, both the `wikipedia`
and `wikidata` tags would reflect that.

In another example, the English Wikipedia article
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_Highway_980> has one section for
each highway numbered 980 in the U.S. state of Arkansas. This article is
linked to one Wikidata item: <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q2431651>. If
another Wikipedia edition wanted to inflate its article count by creating a
separate stub article for each of these highways, none of these stub
articles could be linked to Q2431651. If you were to tag
`wikipedia=en:Arkansas Highway 980`, iD would add `wikidata=Q2431651`. But
if you were to tag `wikipedia=es:Carretera Arkansas 980 (condado de Van
Buren)`, iD would add no `wikidata` tag.

It would be far more problematic if iD were to automatically edit Wikidata,
adding the edited OSM node’s ID to the item’s statements, since a) OSM IDs
are even more unstable than Wikipedia article titles, and b) OSM can
represent even a single place with multiple features (for example, a
boundary relation and a place POI with role=label, or a 3D building relation
with a building area with role=outline). Fortunately, there are no plans to
do automatically edit Wikidata from within iD.

Finally, I think this feature (and hopefully similar features in other
editors) would help us ensure that, if a real mechanical edit to introduce
Wikidata tags [1] ever gets approved, it would be a smaller, one-time affair
instead of a larger, recurring task.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/wikidata and

Minh Nguyen <m...@nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us>