nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us> ha scritto:

> > * “Administrative territorial entity” is the superset of “human
> > settlements”. This superset has 2,225,880 items. [2] You’d see these items
> > on place POIs and boundary=administrative boundary relations.
> >
> > * “Human-geographic territorial entity” is the superset of “administrative
> > territorial entity” that also includes cultural and purely political
> > boundaries. That superset is less than 1% larger (2,245,631)
>
> is this your interpretation or is it explicitly defined like this? I'm
astonished that these 2 concepts are
> supposedly structured vertically and not horizontally in wikidata

<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q486972> is defined in Wikidata as a subset
of <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q56061>. I agree that this is a suboptimal
relationship – anyone can edit, I suppose – but it shouldn’t affect the
quality of the `wikidata` tags that iD comes up with.

> > . [3] Something
> > that’s a human-geographic territorial entity but not an administrative
> > territorial entity probably shouldn’t be mapped in OSM in the first place.
>
> I dissent, OSM is about humans observing their environment and mapping it.
There's no requirement for
> administrative independence. Administrative territorial entities on the
other hand are set up
> following different logics and rules, sometimes differing from the actual
social-geographic reality.

I should’ve been clearer in my wording. The distinction between an
“administrative territorial entity” and any other “human-geographic
territorial entity” in Wikidata is based not on administrative independence
but rather on whether the area within the territory is administered
differently than the area outside of the territory.

An example of a non-administative territorial entity would be a “statistical
territorial entity” <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q15042037>, such as a
Census-Designated Place in the United States
<https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q498162>. I guess I can’t speak to mapping
practices in every country. But in perrennial discussions on talk-us, the
consensus has been to phase out or retag the TIGER-imported administrative
boundaries for CDPs, on the grounds that the boundaries are a statistical
fiction that can’t be observed in any way on the ground. I see no daylight
between Wikidata and OSM when it comes to the difference between
administrative and non-administrative boundaries, even if the terminology
differs somewhat.

Also, I personally expect that this iD feature will wind up affecting
landmarks and non-place POIs more than boundary relations.

> > Rather than searching Wikidata, iD essentially only follows the explicit
> > link from the user-specified Wikipedia article to its Wikidata item. The
> > presence of this link indicates that Wikipedians currently consider the item
> > to be synonymous.
>
> the presence of the link does not indicate that they're seen as
synonymous, but that it might be useful to
> look at it, and that there is some connection between the two, but that's
not the same as synonymous

I think it’s more than that: I think we can agree that the English Wikipedia
article “United States” and the French Wikipedia article “États-Unis”
discuss the same concept (ignoring any content-level differences). In order
for the two articles to link to each other in the “In other languages”
section, they have to share exactly one Wikidata item in common. This is
enforced at a technical level for all Wikipedia languages. (This is
Wikidata’s most important feature: serving as a replacement for the old
“interwiki links” system.)

Increasingly, Wikipedias are relying on Wikidata to supply information for
infoboxes and other elements. For example, the municipality infoboxes on
some Wikipedias automatically display the “population” property of the
Wikidata item linked to the article. It would make no sense for a city
article to state a population based on a “useful to look at” relationship.

--
Minh Nguyen <m...@nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us>