The only OSM based project I know of at Stats Canada is the building
project.  The Census is something completely different.  The sort of issues
that are coming up are questions on data quality and can some Open Data be
integrated into OSM.  Another problem is inconsistent tagging.

At the end of January there were some 204 different users who had touched a
building which has built up over the last few months.  In August 2016 we
had 50,000 building tags by the end of January nearly 150,000 so I think we
are getting new mappers into OSM and the data is being enriched.

 There is some interest in Zambia as well at the moment especially as their
Census data isn't exactly up to date and the population is growing very
quickly.

What appears to be happening is data from OSM is processed then counted
using R from R.org an open source statistical package.

Cheerio John