Really interesting conversation and tips here. My team <http://opendri.org/>
at the GFDRR <https://www.gfdrr.org/> has been tiptoeing in this direction
for a while. To date we’ve mostly been involved in one-off data creation
projects that demonstrate OSM’s value the governments we work with and get
them to produce non-sensitive data in the open they would otherwise make
privately (then probably misplace within a few years, leaving only final
report PDFs in their wake). Projects like this
<https://opendri.org/sri-lanka-opendri-team-finishes-exposure-mapping-in-gampaha-district/>
and this <https://opendri.org/how-are-the-maps-being-used-in-the-wards/>.

We’re not blind to the fact that this is imperfect and less than
sustainable. So we’re looking at the examples you all list for good (and
bad) ways to institutionalize this work and make it standard practice
instead of one-time.

We’re also interested in funding the creation of better software tools to
make it easier for governments to do these tasks, particularly for
government IT staff that may not be on the cutting edge of technology
practices even within their own country, let alone internationally. More
GUI based ways to visualize changes and perform quality control, or see
multiple departments’ inputs on a single set of nodes in OSM.

Are there any specialized tools you all have seen used for these purposes?
Can we capture some of the scripts / etc. published by model cities/govs on
the wiki page? Thanks for setting that up joost!

Robert

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 1:51 PM joost schouppe <joost.schou...@gmail.com>