Hi Ian,

On 08/27/2017 06:23 PM, Ian Dees wrote:
> Thanks for notifying us about this. I hope that you treat this as an
> import or automated edit and follow the rules you would expect to see
> the rest of the community follow.

Sorry for not being clear about this. I posted this with my DWG hat on,
and this is not an import or an automated edit but an "official" removal
of incompatible data which would be an everyday thing for DWG if it
weren't for the sheer number of contributions and the fact that they are
so old, hence the discussion ahead.

> Please post samples of your changes,

The change will be removing the name tag on all ways in the file I made
available, or reverting to whatever it was before chdr edited the
object. Other properties would not be edited.

If this was not a misunderstanding, and instead you wanted to use the
opportunity to start a discussion about DWG accountability ("every
revert of an automated edit is also an automated edit and hence needs to
be discussed in advance", etc.) then I would kindly ask you to do that
in separate thread with a suitable topic.

> and thanks for working to get buy-in
> from local community.

Let's call it a heads-up for, rather than a buy-in from, because even if
the local community were against it, I don't see a legally clean way
around removing these names.

> Is your plan to revert changes to the name tag made by chdr or will you
> be completely removing the name tag? Personally, I would prefer to see
> the name tag completely removed so we can more easily come back and
> correct it. It might also be better to load this list you posted into
> maproulette or similar so we can systematically validate the name values
> on the ways.

Streets that would end up not having a name will probably show up in
enough QA tools already, no?

I'll do a count of how many names would revert and how many would be
removed altogether. Maybe it is indeed best to simply ditch them all.

Bye
Frederik