Hi,

On 24.09.2017 23:01, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> From an ideologic viewpoint, I am very much in favour of not giving
> preferential treatment to any particular language. Using the local
> language seems fair in this respect. On the other hand, from a
> pragmatic point of view I can also see that using English (in
> addition) would significantly increase the usefulness of the map to
> many people.

If you want to go down this route, definitely talk to Sven Geggus, maker
of the openstreetmap.de map style
(https://www.openstreetmap.de/karte.html) which not only displays local
an German names but also makes an effort to automatically transliterate
local names to the Latin alphabet where none is explicitly tagged. You'd
want to implement something similar.

Also note how very letter-heavy such maps can become (look at the names
of the Polish voivodeships which are *already* long and now they're
double - but I see you're only suggesting city and country names so
perhaps you have already seen that the admin 4 entities can be difficult).

But speaking of pragmatism - if I need to decipher something in China I
just use the layer switcher to show Andy's OpenCycleMap and that's good
enough for me.

> Note: making the map available in multiple language versions is
> something we like to do in the future, however, this requires quite
> significant technical changes. Therefore, this is out of scope for
> now.

I'd invest the available brainpower in steps needed to achieve this
goal, even if it's a year or two in the future. Whatever changes you
will be making then will not come without a downside. Saying "we know
these changes do have some issues but they will enable us to finally
display the map in any language you want" will help you sweeten the deal
then.

Also, personally I'm in a similar situation to Maarten. I'm from Germany
and I don't want a map with all German or all English names; ideally I
want a map with local names except where I can't read them ;)

Bye
Frederik