>Yes, to re-iterate: my question is about things we can do now. Vector
>tiles are on the horizon, but are likely to take a year or more from
>now. Changing some of the labels is something we could do with one
>line of code and roll out tomorrow, if we wanted to.

What about the other alternatives?

for example:
- just adding ALL (official[1])  dual languages for only Z0-Z8 level, and
keeping the current design for Z9-Z19

so there will be  (z0-z8)
- local + english
- local + chinese
- local + arabic
- local + japanese
- local + russian
- local + german
- local + spanish
- ...
- local + greek
- local + hungarian
- local + ....
- .....

[1]  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_official_languages

For the small languages, it will be useful for fixing data problems early,
and IMHO a better transition for a full multi-language support.

>The openstreetmap-carto team quite frequently receives requests to
>(additionally)
display labels in English
> (or in any case the Latin-alphabet)

We must remember the survivorship bias [
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias ]
People who can't speak English - can't complain in the English forum.  (
lack of visibility )

And the other question:   Adding the English language now  - can be
counterproductive for implementing the full multi-language support?   ( for
example - less urgency?)

Imre
/native Hungarian/