On Monday 25 September 2017, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> > I'd invest the available brainpower in steps needed to achieve
> > this goal, even if it's a year or two in the future.
>
> Which means vector tiles... which we should be looking at anyway.
>
> But that needs to be a separate project really, rather than a facet
> of openstreetmap-carto.

Note however rendering OSM-Carto without labels and producing a separate
client side rendered labeling would be a possible approach.

Vector tiles is a buzzword occasionally suggested as a solution to any
and all problems in map rendering but so far i have not seen any
practical proposal for a client rendered vector tiles concept that
would be able to serve the mapper feedback purposes of the current OSM
standard style.  Rory's port of OSM-Carto to vector tiles is not
suitable for client side rendering.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/