On 27/09/17 19:46, Yuri Astrakhan wrote:
> Lester, first and foremost, Wikidata is a system to connect the same
> Wikipedia articles in different languages. The "read this article in
> another language" links on the left side comes from Wikidata.  Wikidata
> has developed beyond this initial goal, but it remains the only way to
> identify Wikipedia articles in a language-neutral way, even if a
> specific Wikipedia article is renamed or deleted.

That formed no part of the early discussions on how wikidata should
work? I bowed out when the discussions were going down a path I did not
find to be at all useful. The current offering is certainly a lot more
'organised' than those original discussions. I WOULD still like to see a
storage model that allows third party lists to be managed and cross
referenced, but that does not fit the wikidata model. It is why I think
'another' cross-reference tool may be more appropriate with OSM and
wikipedia/wikidata simply being sources. THAT requires OSM to have a
'unique id' one can use to cross reference though :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL