On 27 September 2017 at 14:37, Simon Poole <si...@poole.ch> wrote:

> Am 27.09.2017 um 15:00 schrieb Andy Mabbett:

>> Tim Berners Lee coined the "Five Stars of Open Data"
>>
>>     http://5stardata.info/en/

> You are assuming
> a) that an arbitrary best practice definition is relevant for OSM

It's not "arbitrary". You can find TBL's credentials here:

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee

> b) that we get any real life brownie points for this outside of academia

I don't give a fig about (and most certainly did not refer to) "brownie points".

>> and that's what including Wikidata iDs in cases such as the above does.
>>
>> In fact, since that makes OSM more useful and thus more attractive to
>> re-users, it *does* matter to OSM.

> You still haven't given any specific real world use case in which
> brand:wikidata would actually be helpful and somebody would -really-
> want to consume it.

You didn't ask for one. But since you now do:

* A data consumer wants to render a map with logos of shops and restaurants

* A data consumer wants to link to Wikipedia articles about same, in
the local language

* A data consumer wants to calculate and compare the distances between
(or density of) the outlets of a particular brand, in different
countries, regardless of the script in which the plaintext name of the
brand has been entered.

> Outside of than that it would obviously be good for
> wikidata and for people going to linked data conferences.

That's the second time you've mentioned a supposed benefit to
Wikidata; any such benefit is minimal, and certainly not my - nor, I'm
sure, Yuri's - reason for wanting to fix the issues outlined in the
OP.

The conference comment is pure snark.

> My take is that it adds a nearly impossible to maintain (consider your
> own Woolworth's example), non-speaking, foreign key for additional
> information that is already  that is already quite adequately provided
> by the brand key.

Your take is mistaken, as shown previously.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing