On 27/09/17 14:40, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> On 27 September 2017 at 14:28, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> wikidata provides a section which documents a range of LINKS which
>> identify the same object on other databases. It would be nice if there
>> was a stable identity on OSM that would populate an entry in THAT list.
>
> Indeed so, but OSM does not, nor is it likely to in the foreseeable future.

The current 'risk' is that the wikidata identifier becomes the defacto
'standard' for defining OSM objects, and then we have to create wikidata
entries for new objects. In the past I did write wikipedia articles to
fill gaps in the past, but when entries get tidied up by other editors,
titles can be changed and we get broken links. At least wikidata id's
are static ... hopefully.

>> At some point it might be nice to eliminate all of the unnecessary links
>> like this in OSM if wikidata or somenewopesourcedata become a more
>> reliable source of such data.
>
> While it is not yet complete, in what way is Wikdiata failing to be
> sufficiently reliable?

Much of the work I did on wikipedia was stripped for all sorts of
reasons. HOPEFULLY facts that exist will not be subject to the same
arbitrary treatment in wikidata, but I don't have much confidence still
to spend time contributing these days. I did not like the way wikidata
was structured originally but it does look like the problems have been
eliminated. We still need a lot more stubs replacing with real data? And
critically I'd prefer to see the wikipedia pages containing a link to
the wikidata entry!

>> Just a single link to a substantial set of additional data.
>
> That is exactly what Wikidata is for.

But has yet to be formally adopted by OSM ... at which point the
wikidata id becomes the OSM unique reference?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL