On 30/10/2017 17:25, Daniel Koć wrote:

"Although /forest/ is a term of common parlance, there is no universally recognised precise definition, with more than 800 definitions of forest used around the world."

This is part of the OSM problem - It's been misappropriated as a verb to indicate that work is performed on a group of trees & also merged to include a few of those 800 variations (size, density etc). Using sub-tags some of those numerous definitions can, where appropriate, be added.

Separating them into individual sub-tags makes it *much* easier & accurate to filter if required rendering or data analysis.

[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest#Definition ]

I think it's hopeless for us to coin good definition.

FWIW, there's already a compatible tag to say: "area with trees", and that is landcover=trees.

+1 - this one is clear for me.

I'd think natural=wood is adequate (all the main renderers are displaying it), but if there's a belief another tag is better, then I'd be happy to go with that as the /real/ problem is OSM is currently using two different tags (both key & value!) to represent the same entity,

Are any renderers currently rendering 'landcover'?

DaveF

---