JB, the "layer=0 removal" is one of the JOSM validations - it automatically
gets suggested to anyone editing an area with that object, with the "fix"
button autofixing it.  JOSM doesn't have a "mark this autofix as invalid"
button, which means that even if you don't autofix it, the next person
reviewing the same area may. This sounds identical to the issue raised by
Simon above:
> ...you don't actually "confirm" that something is a good edit or not. You
only have the choice of making an edit or leaving it to others to do. ...
This makes the whole thing entirely equivalent to a mechanical edit.

So we should either A) remove it from JOSM, or B) define when it should be
kept vs deleted, because otherwise we are not being consistent with
requirements.

In JOSM:
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/browser/josm/trunk/data/validator/unnecessary.mapcss?rev=12999#L6