Hi,

   without going into the finer details, I'd like to offer an outsider's
view of OSM Carto development.

When Andy first created OSM Carto, he set out a road map that has long
been superseded but thanks to version control we can still look at it:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/v1.0.0/README.md

Essentially it was:

v1.0 - re-implement existing stuff in carto
v2.0 - make it more suitable for further development and customisation
v3.0 - tackle the ticket backlog

What has happened instead is that the easier-to-handle v2.0 was
reasonably successful in attracting volunteers, and now we have a small
team instead of one person doing the style, which is great. But after a
while this small team has started milking the toolchain for all it's
got, and meanwhile the SQL queries are so complex that they threaten to
nullify any effort that has gone into making the style accessible to new
participants (or people who want to customise it).

So the ease of participating or customising has more or less already
gone down the drain; what's still good about OSM Carto is that at least
you can easily install it as-is on your own infrastructure (I regularly
do that for business clients), but I fear it is only a matter of time
until this aspect of usability, too, will be abandoned, and you will
have to run massive pre-computation jobs in order to even get your map
off the ground...

Personally speaking, the OSM Carto map has been good enough for me and
all my use cases for years now. If anything, I found the inflation of
icons and special cases a bit irritating. I would love it if OSM Carto
could be split into a "bread and butter" style that is easy to work
with, easy on the eye and easy to render, and a "cartography
navel-gazing" add-on where we show off how we can render different track
patterns depending on the pebble size. We could then offer both on
openstreetmap.org (where the bread-and-butter style would be the default).

But I'm not involved in OSM Carto development and I won't tell people
how to do their job. Occasionally when I look at OSM Carto tickets I am
in awe about how much work goes into seemingly minor things - how
details are diligently discussed, tried, tested, discarded, done
differently, until they finally come to fruition in a release one year
later. It is great to see this much work and enthusiasm invested in OSM
Carto, and if the price for that is complicated SQL queries then so be
it - the "bread and butter" style I was thinking of could be made by
someone else too.

Bye
Frederik