Hi everyone,

Adding some constructive data to the discussion, I’ve run a query to find
disputed territories that are mapped in violation to the 2013 agreement — like
Crimea was before this week.

There are only 20 overlaps of admin_level=2 polygons (has been in Spring 2018,
I haven’t updated the database lately). Of these, only three are notable:

* Ukraine vs Russia (44800 km², resolved)
* Argentina vs Chile (1507 km², ice shelf with no inhabitants, status unknown)
* Sudan vs South Sudan (23150 km²)

The latter may considered a violation. There are few disputed territories:

* Kafia Kingi is controlled by Sudan, but mapped as part of both administrative
boundaries.
* Abyei is a special area that can be considered a part of both countries. Its
inhabitants have both citizenships.
* Town of Heglig is controlled by Sudan and mapped as Sudan-exclusive.
* I see no overlaps on other disputed territories.

To conclude, if we remove Kafia Kingi from the South Sudan relation, there will
be no notable violations to the 2013 agreement on our map — though only by
means of having one country overlap another.

See the list for yourself: https://pastebin.com/MAH6YX5s

We may have an issue with some partially recognized countries, like Abkhazia,
which are still mapped as parts of other countries, despite not being
controlled by them.

Ilya