John — a fairly new resource is the Welcome site,
https://welcome.openstreetmap.org/why-openstreetmap/
<https://welcome.openstreetmap.org/why-openstreetmap/> specifically may be
interesting to point them to. It’s fairly high level and brief in its
explanations, but if gives organizations a place to start when they’re not
familiar with OSM and consider using it or contributing to it.

A common issue I have seen with governments wanting to use OSM data is the
license, so they should look into that if they intend to use OSM data as a
replacement / back-fill for any data they may now maintain themselves. Often
it’s a one-way street: Governments can contribute data to OSM but they can’t
use OSM data to enrich their own. YMMV, this is my experience from talking to
governments in the U.S.

Martijn