Hi Andy,

Am 17/04/2019 um 17.53 schrieb Andy Mabbett:
> There are currently 956 objects in OSM with the tag "wikidata=Q1340361":
>
>    https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/wikidata=Q1340361
>
> where:
>
>    https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q1340361
>
> is the item for the State Bank of India.
>
> The tag should almost certainly be:
>
>    operator:wikidata=Q1340361
>
> or, less likely,
>
>    brand:wikidata=Q1340361
>    franchise:wikidata=Q1340361
>
> with the only exception perhaps being the bank's HQ.
>
> Can anyone confirm what the correct tag should be, and can we use an
> automated process to correct them?
>
> It's possible that the same issue applies to some of the other
> high--use tags listed at:
>
>    https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/wikidata#values

The following Overpass query (bbox filter not required) shows all
features with wikidata=Q1340361 which is the Wikidata ID of the Bank of
India.

(node[wikidata=Q1340361];way[wikidata=Q1340361];);out geom meta;

By looking at the result, the following observations can be made:

- nyuriks is the last modifier of most objects
- most objects are banks having wikipedia="en:State Bank of India"

wikipedia=* on shops of chains is considered wrong. Usually, the article
is about the chain, not the individual shop itself.

Opening the changesets which modified the objects in their last version
leads to mechanical edits setting wikidata=* tags by simply copying
taking the value wikipedia=* and looking up its Wikidata ID. This is
should not have happened for the following reasons:

- computer programmes are better at copying and enhancing a planet dump
  with Wikidata IDs would be the better
- adding Wikidata IDs pretends a quality these objects do not have
  because no manual review happended
- the meaning of the Wikipedia articles and its associated Wikidata
  entry do not overlap fully

The errors pointed out by you, Andy, proof that it is an automated edit.
The Automated Edits Code of Conduct applies but was ignored then. The
Automated Edits Code of Conduct exists to prevent such issues. I haven't
digged in detail through the archives of the Talk mailing list but I am
pretty sure to find emails which mentioned these issues. However, the
issues raised back then were ignored.

The Bank of India issue is not an isolated incidence. Looking deeper
into the series of nyurik's mechanical Wikidata edits unveils more
issues. Cleaning up banks in India might remove one of the most obvious
and annoying errors of the mechanical edit but it does not solve all the
other errors still present in OSM. Each of them affects a smaller number
objects, not hundreds but only tens per error. They won't appear on the
first pages of Taginfos's list of tag values. But they still sum up to a
significant amount and make the wikidata=* tag as it is unreliable.
That's why I think that going back a step in this case would be the only
sustainable solution.

Best regards

Michael

PS nyurik's edit isn't the only problem here. The iD editor adds
wikidata=* if wikipedia=* is added without checking that the link of the
Wikipedia entry to the Wikidata entry is right and if the meaning of the
Wikipedia article is wider. I called this an mechanical edit