Interestingly enough, FOSS4G San Digeo where I was just attending has had
several talks about wikidata IDs usfulness in OSM...  Also, AFAIK, mapbox
is using WD in brands to do their searches for POIs, as that is much easier
to consume than names. OpenMapTiles have discussed wikidata ids at length,
and consumes it in order to translate many locations (see their
import-wikidata repo).