On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 21:03, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoni...@tutanota.com> wrote:

> Apr 17, 2019, 5:53 PM by a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk:
>
> Can anyone confirm what the correct tag should be, and can we use an
> automated process to correct them?
>
> It seems likely that it should be brand:wikidata and brand:wikipedia.

That seems reasonable.

> Though, if we are lucky this mistake was added by an undiscussed
> automated edit and may be simply reverted.

I do not consider the loss of potentially-useful data to be "lucky".

> I am running monitoring of blatant misuses of Wikipedia tags.

[list of examples]

It would seem reasonable to have a bot routinely convert those to
brand:wikipedia tags, with (say) a white-list for HQ objects.

We could also suggest that tools (JOSM, ID, etc) issue a warning when
such values are added, ether based on matching items in a list, for
retching the item's "insatnce of" value from Wikidata.

> But for some reason people complain less if wikipedia tag is turned
> into brand:wikipedia rather than simply removed so usually I just turn
> invalid wikipedia links to company page into brand:wikipedia tags
> (and do the same with wikidata tags).

Again, that seems like the reasonable and sensible approach. It is
clear what the original editor was aiming at.

> Among other popular wikipedia links
>
> "wikipedia='de:Stolpersteine'",
> "wikipedia='nl:Toeristisch Overstappunt'",

Those should perhaps be wikipedia:type= ?

> and complete removal is probably necessary.

Again, that is throwing away useful data, where the intent of the
person adding it can be deduced with a very high degree of certainty.

> Overall, there are about 30 000 blatantly incorrect wikipedia tags

Though those need to be addresses, 30K out of over 1 million cases is
less than 3%. And programmatically addressing the commonest cases
(such as those discussed above) will reduce the number considerably.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing