Am 08.09.2019 um 20:37 schrieb Christoph Hormann:
> On Sunday 08 September 2019, Simon Poole wrote:
>> I think you are confusing potentially extractable information with
>> actual data. For example satellite imagery may have a potentially
>> high information content that could be with appropriate processing be
>> turned in to data, but each image in itself is at most one datum.
> I see - so you want to quantify by counting 'data objects' of some sort.
> I assume for the OSM side you want to go with the quantification of one
> OSM feature equals one countable object and a large lake multipolygon
> for example can count a few thousand?
>
> You'd still loose by a huge margin in a map with contour line relief
> rendering of course.
>
> And i would still hold the bet that i would be able to get the OSM
> fraction of any map below 50 percent without too much effort.
>
>> Now waiting for the every image is a pixel database argument.
> You are aware that most satellite image layers used in visualizations
> are produced from hundreds of thousands or even millions of individual
> images, assembled pretty much in the same way as a map rendering is
> assembled from multiple features.  It therefore seems your 'one datum'
> concept is somewhat fragile.

I wrote "at most" one datum, I would argue that that an image is an
image (even if it is a composite image) and not a datum.

But in any case the guideline refers to theĀ  "visible map rendering". At
least in conventional use of the term, aerial imagery is not a map, but
if you so which we could surely add a definition for "map" that makes it
clear that we are referring to the rendering of map vector data and
similar and not image-like layers.

Simon