A couple of weeks ago, I've (re) started sharing planet dump files using Bittorrent to test an alternative way to distribute our planet dumps to reduce the bandwidth load on the OSMF servers.

Here is a short summary after 2 weeks tests...

The torrents are generated a few hours after the planet dump availability on planet.openstreetmap.org server (time needed to download the original file to generate the torrent).

I'm seeding it from a couple of servers which allows to spread the dump file faster. Seeding is also done thru the original https link and main mirrors (this is the "web seed" feature supported by some bittorrent clients).

After the initial seed, downloading the planet file can be as short as 30/40mn if you have a good downlink. After 3 days, there's currently 15 seeds, allowing event faster or more balanced downloads (just did one in only 15mn).

If you have downloaded the planet dump using the torrent or plan to do so or want to test it, please share your results on the wiki discussion: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Planet.osm#Torrent

The torrents are located at https://osm.cquest.org/torrents/

--
Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France