Hello fellow OSMers! πŸ™‚

So this is from me. Last year I made some mashups of the OSM logo. There
is often a lot of big business presence at tech/FLOSS conferences now,
so I thought β€œWhat would be the opposite of that?” I am pretty lefty,
and I do like OSM's anarchistic/do-ocracy/flat/non-hierarchical
tradition anyway. So I ordered these stickers for a laugh, and they (&
the LGBTQ designs) were quite popular.

I don't believe it breeches the OSMF Trademark policy. Β§3.5 allows
remixed logos for user group logos. Β§3.2 & Β§3.4 allow the use of
stickers. (There is plenty of other examples of OSM trademark use BTW
πŸ˜‰) I thought it was clear that it didn't reflect OSMF policy, but I'm
sure I can communicate that better, to avoid all doubt. Mea Culpa. Β§2.2
of the Trademark policy does require a more explicit notice, which I've
now added to the wiki page. Β§2.3 says I shouldn't suggest OSMF
endorsement, and I don't want to suggest, or imply, OSMF affiliation or
endorsement! πŸ™‚ I've added a message the wiki page for that image. Do
you think that suffices?

Yes, by definition all democratic societies are "anti-fascist", but even
I know the logo is more than just "anti-fascist", and... controversial. πŸ™ƒ

_However_ I need to think on this. We have a lot of work to do. We have
a whole world to map. I don't want everyone to fight, or external people
to get mistaken ideas about OSM. 😞 Someone might have a false idea of
one thing, and (falsely) think all of OSM is like that.

That can go both ways: Right wing, bigoted, politicians sometimes claim
"antifa are violent terrorists" (cf. Trump after the Charlottesville
rally). β€œOSM doesn't have a Code of Conduct, and they just banned the
antifa logo saying it's a horrible violent organization!” could make
some marginalized groups (falsely) think OSM is full of a certain type
of hostile person!

As well as OSM being inherently political, "No politics" can (in
practice) translate to "Don't act gay, and people are allowed be
homophobic to you and you can't complain" (etc). If you think it's OK
for people to act gay/etc in an OSM event, then a "no politics" rule
communicates quite the opposite (alas). IMO you should rephrase.

Yes, the OSM community/OSMF should think about what kinds of (political)
issues we should (& shouldn't) get involved with, and what should be in
our spaces. (hey... maybe there should be some sort of code of how you
can conduct yourself in OSM spaces.... πŸ€”πŸ˜‰πŸ˜†)

So I need to think. My email inbox is open if anyone wants to give
suggestions/(confidential?) advice/tell me to knock it off/tell me to
keep going. Just cause something is legal, or within the trademark
policy, doesn't mean it's always a good idea. πŸ™‚

Yours, in mapping,

Rory

P.S.: For the avoidance of doubt: I paid for all these myself. This
email (& the logo) represent my personal opinions, not those of the OSMF
board, the OSMF, the OSM project, etc. I paid for these myself. These
stickers are not part of the newly founded CWG's promotional material
programme. I designed & got them well before I thought about running
for the board.