Sören Reinecke wrote:
> So far as I understood Adobe dropped Linux support for its
> AIR plattform. If that is right, then I am in doubt that
> supporting the development of Potlatch 2 is not that in
> a sustainable manner.

AIR is not maintained by Adobe, but by Harman, a Samsung subsidiary. AIR for
Linux is still supported at version 2.6 but not updated
(https://airsdk.harman.com/faq): Harman is considering future updates. P2 will
still run on 2.6 - there are explicit workarounds in the code (e.g. in
net/systemeD/potlatch2/collections/Imagery.as) to ensure backward compatibility.

Nonetheless, even if P2 didn't run on Linux, I'm not sure why this should be an
issue for other users. No-one says Vespucci isn't sustainable because it
doesn't run on iOS.

mmd wrote:
> Why aren't we porting Potlatch2 to WebAssembly, then?

I'm not sure who the "we" is in this question, but assuming you're not
volunteering yourself :), the difficult dependency with P2 is not ActionScript
3 but the Flash runtime, i.e. the Flash and Flex APIs. There are currently only
two runtimes capable of running P2: Flash Player and AIR. Ruffle is showing
promise (https://github.com/ruffle-rs/ruffle) and is under very active
development, but does not yet support AS3 or the Flash Player features that P2
needs. I would anticipate that P2 will be able to run as WebAssembly when
Ruffle reaches feature parity with AIR 2.6.

Richard