Air is not a zero security risk, but the exposure is much lower than the old days of Flash.

I hate the security problems that came from Flash, as well as almost anything from Adobe, but I think the premise of this project to improve maintainability is important.   Although not part of this proposed project, it is a gateway that could allow migration to an open standard in the future.