On 04/08/2020 05.30, pangoSE wrote:
On older hardware like my 2 core 2ghz laptop iD is slow. Loading while saving an edit is slow, while JOSM is always fast and saving does not close the edit view so you can continue without waiting for
a browser to load the iD editor again which is also slow.
I want your JVM :-). I have yet to encounter a Java program (including JOSM) that isn't sluggish. (JOSM could be worse, but it's nowhere near what I'd expect from a well-written *native* application.)

Matthew Woehlke skrev: (3 augusti 2020 16:14:13 CEST)
(¹ iD can 'square up' individual nodes and does a passable job with
*mostly* orthogonal shapes with the odd 45° angle. There are ways to
work with those in JOSM, but generally speaking if you try to square a
shape with a single 'wild' node, JOSM turns the whole thing into a hot
mess.)

This sounds like a bug. Have you reported it?

Ah... I partially retract that. I think the problem is that I'm trying to make it work more like iD which permits *selective* squaring. I probably have some nodes selected that's making it go bonkers.

Really, this is a missing feature; I want a way to either square up individual nodes, or only angles that are within some delta of 90° already (and maybe to snap other angles to e.g. 45°).

Meanwhile, I've gotten better at creating scratch geometry to help with construction, but I would practically *kill* for JOSM to have FreeCAD's suite of sketch constraints ;-).

--
Matthew