Am 04.08.2020 um 17:05 schrieb Alexandre Oliveira:
>> At this time nobody is proposing anything more than giving P2 a bit more
>> life for a small sum of money
> And as myself and others have brought up, it's not a good idea to
> spend money to port P2 from a dead technology to another dead
> technology, if people still use it it's much more beneficial in the
> long term to port it to modern web technologies than have to spend a
> few thousand bucks every once in a while to port a software that's
> pretty important for OSM (even though its usage has decreased over the
> years the changeset amount is still high) to another dead technology.
The problem with that is that it implies 2 to 3 more zeros (at least)
before the decimal point in the costs, and -then- the question really
arises why we are doing that. Literally nobody including Richard has
proposed to spend more money down the road, and given that he tends to
be relatively down to earth I assume he is not expecting eternal support.

> As someone (I can't recall who it was) said, "$2500 is not much", then
> if the OSMF wants to spend it on useless efforts (i.e. porting P2 from
> Flash to Air) then why not give it to me then, if the OSMF wants to
> spend this money? :P Jokes aside, if the OSMF really wants to spend
> this money I'd suggest it to be spent somewhere else if the board is
> so keen on setting up life support and going through the stress that
> it is to maintain dead libraries.

The reason is that the users want to continue to use P2 for now (see
discussion in the forum for example). To put this in to perspective we
are talking about a one time spend of about 1 € per head, somewhat less
than what iD costs per year (every year), and at least an order of
magnitude less than the same for JOSM etc.

Simon