> Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) <robert.whittaker+...@gmail.com> hat am
> 03.12.2020 12:27 geschrieben:
>
> [...] It means that the
> attribution method you use must be reasonably calculated to ensure
> that *every* person viewing will be aware that content has come from
> OpenStreetMap. Nowhere does the clause allow you to only provide the
> opportunity for anyone to be able to discover the source if they
> decide to, or to only ensure some people are aware.

Exactly.

This has been identified to be the community consensus very early in the
discussion on the attribution guideline and it was also quite clearly the
expectation of the community when the ODbL was originally adopted in the
license change process.

In the Community attribution advice i formulated some time ago:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Community_attribution_advice

I phrased it like this:

"What we mean by this is that the criterion for a valid attribution is if it
effectively makes the user aware that OpenStreetMap data licensed under the
ODbL is used."

Side note:  Facebook's main business model is selling the attention of their
users to paying advertisement customers.  They have a huge department doing
nothing but analysis of their users' behavior all day long.  They know
*exactly* how many (or more accurately: how few) of the users of their maps
actually become aware of the origin of the data in OSM.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/