I proposed some time ago to replace some surface values.

The initial script run was recently done,.

Edit is documented at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Mateusz_Konieczny_-_bot_account/fixing_malformed_surface_tags

I propose to expand this by replacing also surfaces listed below.

Please comment if any of proposed replacements are dubious in any way and
do not qualify for a replacement with an automated edit.

Edit will affect around 2500 objects.

If anyone wants I can help them to find affected objects or present listing of
edits which added this tags or list people who added this values onto currently
tagged osm objects.

Samples of this values were tested.

Tried to use them as detectors of bogus data, neither were really useful for
this purpose.

So I am proposing following changes

surface = unpaved33 → surface = unpaved

# added by TendaiNkomo - see https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/67017223
where I tried to contact them
surface = unpaved_minor → surface = unpaved
surface = unpaved_major → surface = unpaved

# surface=dirt would be incorrect, "dirt road" refers also to surface=compacted
surface = dirt road → surface = unpaved

# https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/48215497
surface = cobbled → surface = cobblestone

# apparently autocomplete accident
surface = un → surface = unpaved
surface = compact → surface = compacted

# low use, detected via detector of values very likely to by typoed or having
shiFt accident
# still verified whether indicating obvious issues
surface = Concrete → surface = concrete
surface = GRAVEL → surface = gravel
surface = Compacted → surface = compacted
# surface=bamboo is not documented, this replacement is still useful
surface = Bamboo → surface = bamboo

# also reviewed, no special comments
surface = unsealed → surface = unpaved
surface = synthetic_grass → surface = artificial_turf
surface = asphalt_no_1 → surface = asphalt
surface = asphalt deg 3 → surface = asphalt
surface = planks → surface = wood
surface = cobblestone_flattened → surface = cobblestone:flattened
surface = Hard_Court → surface = hard_court
surface = groun → surface = ground
surface = groud → surface = ground
surface = groundw → surface = ground
surface = ground2 → surface = ground
surface = paved2 → surface = paved
surface = gravel2 → surface = gravel
surface = asphalt22 → surface = asphalt
surface = concrete2 → surface = concrete
surface = unpaved3 → surface = unpaved
surface = unpaved22 → surface = unpaved
surface = asphalt2 → surface = asphalt
surface = compacted_gravel → surface = compacted
surface = unsurfaced → surface = unpaved
surface = plank → surface = wood
surface = wooden_planks → surface = wood
surface = wood_chip → surface = woodchips

# more surface values with trailing letter/number
# especially 2 and q are common - missclick of tab button? Similarly 1 and 3
# and c - missclick of ctrl+c?
# and C - missclick of ctrl+c and using shift+c?

surface = unpavedc → surface = unpaved
surface = grounds → surface = ground
surface = gravelc → surface = gravel
surface = unpaveds → surface = unpaved

# I have not reviewed this values specifically - but I reviewed many other
single-extra-letter-cases
# all values here are low use, some may be used once
# I expect that reliability here will be the same as sample which I verified
based on aerial images
# for obvious mistake or indicators of problems
surface = unpaved* → surface = unpaved
surface = asphalt3 → surface = asphalt
surface = asphaltd → surface = asphalt
surface = asphalt; → surface = asphalt
surface = asphalts → surface = asphalt
surface = asphaltz → surface = asphalt
surface = asphaltc → surface = asphalt
surface = asphaltN → surface = asphalt
surface = asphaltn → surface = asphalt
surface = asphaltl → surface = asphalt
surface = asphalth → surface = asphalt
surface = asphaltC → surface = asphalt
surface = asphaltu → surface = asphalt
surface = asphalt- → surface = asphalt
surface = asphaltr → surface = asphalt
surface = asphalt1 → surface = asphalt
surface = concretef → surface = concrete
surface = concretev → surface = concrete
surface = concrete6 → surface = concrete
surface = concretee → surface = concrete
surface = concretew → surface = concrete
surface = concretec → surface = concrete
surface = concrete` → surface = concrete
surface = concreteo → surface = concrete
surface = concrete5 → surface = concrete
surface = concretex → surface = concrete
surface = concreted → surface = concrete
surface = concrete3 → surface = concrete
surface = concretem → surface = concrete
surface = concrete- → surface = concrete
surface = concreteŒ → surface = concrete
surface = sand1 → surface = sand
surface = sand] → surface = sand
surface = sandw → surface = sand
surface = sand` → surface = sand
surface = sand- → surface = sand
surface = sands → surface = sand
surface = sand3 → surface = sand
surface = sandq → surface = sand
surface = dirt+ → surface = dirt
surface = dirt; → surface = dirt
surface = dirt- → surface = dirt
surface = dirt1 → surface = dirt
surface = dirt2 → surface = dirt
surface = groundz → surface = ground
surface = groundC → surface = ground
surface = groundf → surface = ground
surface = ground; → surface = ground
surface = ground= → surface = ground
surface = ground4 → surface = ground
surface = groundq → surface = ground
surface = groundo → surface = ground
surface = grounda → surface = ground
surface = ground, → surface = ground
surface = ground- → surface = ground
surface = ground\ → surface = ground
surface = paving_stones; → surface = paving_stones
surface = paving_stones- → surface = paving_stones
surface = paving_stones3 → surface = paving_stones
surface = paving_stonesq → surface = paving_stones
surface = paving_stonesm → surface = paving_stones
surface = grassm → surface = grass
surface = grassr → surface = grass
surface = grasso → surface = grass
surface = grassO → surface = grass
surface = grass/ → surface = grass
surface = gravelv → surface = gravel
surface = gravel. → surface = gravel
surface = gravel+ → surface = gravel
surface = gravelq → surface = gravel
surface = gravel- → surface = gravel
surface = gravel{ → surface = gravel
surface = gravel1 → surface = gravel
surface = gravel; → surface = gravel
surface = gravels → surface = gravel
surface = gravel∑ → surface = gravel
surface = compacted- → surface = compacted
surface = compacted` → surface = compacted
surface = compacted= → surface = compacted
surface = compactedц → surface = compacted
surface = unpavedù → surface = unpaved
surface = unpaved5 → surface = unpaved
surface = unpaved. → surface = unpaved
surface = unpaved, → surface = unpaved
surface = unpavedz → surface = unpaved
surface = paved` → surface = paved
surface = paveds → surface = paved
surface = paveda → surface = paved
surface = wood3 → surface = wood
surface = woodw → surface = wood
surface = wood= → surface = wood
surface = wood2 → surface = wood
surface = wood1 → surface = wood
surface = sett7 → surface = sett
surface = settc → surface = sett
surface = setts → surface = sett
surface = settц → surface = sett
surface = unpavedq → surface = unpaved
surface = unpavedS → surface = unpaved
surface = unpavedm → surface = unpaved
surface = unpaveda → surface = unpaved
surface = unpaved- → surface = unpaved
surface = unpaved= → surface = unpaved
surface = unpavedC → surface = unpaved
surface = mudd → surface = mud

Some values were skipped!

For example
surface = mud?
surface = grassy
surface = sandy
surface = gravely

were skipped as were not some obvious typos

there are also many low-use values with two extra bogus characters, for example
surface = concrete22 → surface = concrete

would be also OK to migrate them without listing them
for review here and just add them to replace list later?
And other similar obvious typos appearing or found in future?

Only low use obvious mistakes would be changed.
If anyone at all will protest and I will not do this and post
here once sufficiently many value are found.

Proposed edit would be automatic, rerun from time to time, split into small
changeset by geographic areas and run by
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Mateusz%20Konieczny%20-%20bot%20account/history%20bot%20account

If you reached here: I have some question about surface values that I am NOT
proposing to edit right now. And if you reached here you are probably unusually
interested in surface tagging.

General edit justification is further below
(starts from "Following is the same reasoning and plan as previously")

Would it make sense to document any of

surface=moss
surface=roots
surface=leaves
surface=shells / sea shells (sea_shells) / crushed_shells
surface=tiles (or surface=tile ?)
surface=peat

as valid values?

Are all values below replaceable by surface=dirt (or surface=earth)?

surface=terre
surface=terra
surface=tierra
surfac=Terra

Is any of values below has blatantly clear meaning in your language matching
some established or missing surface value? And would be also eligible for such
fixing?

surface=грунт
surface=앿
surface=Aspal dan Tanah
surface=sterrato
surface=holz
surface=tanah
surface=schotter
surface=bicouche
surface=Murram
surface=Gras_Laub
surface=areia
surface=blaes
surface=saibro
surface=grama
surface=verdichtet
surface=terrazzo
surface=rasin
surface=enrobé
surface=hormigon
surface=brolagt
surface=асфальт
surface=zahorra
surface=щебень
surface=грунтовая_дорога
surface=голая_почва
surface=toprak
surface=щебеночное_покрытие
surface=adoquines
surface=murva
surface=pflasterstein
surface=murram

Following is the same reasoning and plan as previously:

Why it is useful? It helps newbies to avoid becoming confused. It
protects against such values becoming established. Without drudgery
that would be required from the manual cleanup. It also makes easier to
add missing values where needed.

It also cuts down on help/research to answer cases "why this feature
is not showing up properly" (because it has a typo in a tag).

Why automatic edit? I have a massive queue (in thousands and tens of
thousands) of automatically detectable issues which are not reported by
mainstream validators, require fixes and fix requires review or
complete manual cleanup.

There is no point in manual drudgery here, with values clearly
replaceable by better matches.

This values here do NOT require manual overview. If this cases will
turn out to be an useful signal of invalid editing than I will remain
reviewing nearby areas where bot edited.

And I fixed some manually and they were not a great sign of a problematic data.

Yes, bot edit WILL cause objects to be edited. Nevertheless, as result
map data quality will improve.