On Tue, 30 May 2023 20:36:54 +0000
Andrew Hain <andrewhain...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Is there an imagery host that offers an OSM-friendly way to support
>mapping and is suitable for contributions using a smartphone or tablet?

I often use Wikimedia Commons.
There is an app that can both upload photos already taken and start a
photo-app from the commons app.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/fr.free.nrw.commons/

You have to categorize images, but I do not mind that.

There are some limits to what you should upload to commons, e.g., many
nearly identical images.

If the photo has location metadata then from the commons website you
can open it on the OpenStreetmap website so that you can e.g., create a
POI in josm or id. That part is not the most elegant, but it works.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Commons