"Robert C Potter (DTP) via talk" <talk@openstreetmap.org> writes:

> Our intended use of OSM is built on an extract being done then
> validating that extract for the gazetted/official place and road
> names. The resultant validated dataset will be shared that via our
> Opendata portal.  Our state government has a strong commitment to
> sharing all data openly.  We are currently developing that process and
> should be in production by the end of the year.
>
> Alas, there has been concern from our distribution partners with the
> ODbl license requirement to "Share alike".  You know these companies;
> Google, Here, Tomtom and Apple.
>
> The information we would share, and all shared as ODbl;
>
>   *   Disruptions
>   *   Heavy vehicles
>   *   Bicycles routes
>   *   Public transport routes and timetables
>
> I am wondering how we, can continue engage with these partners and use
> and improve OSM.

With individual mapper hat on:

First, thank you for taking the time to understand OSM's license and for
respecting it.

I think you basically have to choose between:

  Use OSM.  Publish data under the ODbL.  Realize that some companies,
  perhaps because their business models involve creating non-free
  derived works of free data, will not want to use this data.  Decide
  that this is their problem, not your problem, because you made the
  data available under reasonable terms.  You can likely, for fairly
  small expense, pay for custom development of OSM-world mapping
  applications to add suport for your new data.

  Don't use OSM data at all.  Publish data as public domain.  Realize
  that some companies will process this data and use it commercially,
  perhaps with invasive ads, while not allowing those who obtain the
  data to have rights to copy/modify/share.  Consider the ethical issues
  surrounding the relationship of your citizens with this distribution
  arrangement, after reviewing your legal requirements about how to act.

My bias is probably clear; I believe governments have a duty to their
citizens, not to big companies.

If you mean, "is there any way that data derived from OSM can be used in
a (legitimate) proprietary manner by these companies?", then I think the
answer is no, there isn't.