Apols to Allen, the message was too large with the old stuff on the end and
I forwarded it to the talk ca list by mistake.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: john whelan <jwhelan0...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 at 14:04
Subject: Re: FW: [EXTERNAL] Re: [OSM-talk] ODbl concerns
To: George Boulos (DTP) <george.bou...@roads.vic.gov.au>
Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org <talk@openstreetmap.org>, Robert C Potter (DTP) <
robert.pot...@roads.vic.gov.au>, Priya Maniam Chinakarapaya (DTP) <
priya.maniamchinakarap...@roads.vic.gov.au>

I was probably what you might call a glue person in the project. I was
interested in importing bus stops with the phone number to call for the
next bus in Ottawa to the map.

The new minister in charge of Treasury Board wanted to shake hands with
Open Data people.  So a group of a dozen of us got selected to attend.  The
most important people there were not the minister but his staff and when I
mentioned we couldn't use their open data because of the license they asked
me to repeat the statement and they listened.  Later they went on to talk
to other open data consumers. It took five years for their license to be
changed to something that looked like we could use.  In Canada we have a
long history of importing CANVEC data into the map.  The number of mappers
per square kilometer is much lower than say Germany.

In Ottawa we were very lucky in having a University lecturer who was into
Open Data and she was instrumental in many ways in forwarding the agenda.

I'd retired from Statistics Canada but knew their corporate culture quite
well.  It was about the time when the new license was approved, that they
decided to create a project about buildings.  The pilot would take place in
Ottawa seeing it was local and one of their staff had seen OpenStreetMap
and thought this was a great way that they could crowd source adding more
information about buildings.  They'd seen a building added with iD and
thought it would be simple.  This they would combine with other data and
sell to clients.

I drank my first cup of coffee of many with the project manager and
suggested it might be an idea to have a meeting to see if data could be
imported.  The new Federal government's Open Data licence looked as if it
matched OSM's licensing requirements so it looked sort of doable and
Metrolink had recently been adding addresses.  Metrolinx is a transit
organisation in Ontario and by adding addresses into OSM they hoped newly
occupied addresses could make use of route planning applications.

We had a meeting, City of Ottawa, myself, someone from Metrolinx who had
imported addresses from a Stats Canada source into OSM, they were there on
the phone, we had someone from HOT in Switzerland describing how HOT used
crowdsourcing to add data to OSM, the University lecturer who brought up
bilingualism, I had a Nexus running OSMAND in French displaying the Ottawa
street names in French and that probably sealed the deal as bilingualism is
mandatory and expensive in the Canadian civil service.  The lecturer
identified a dataset that the city of Ottawa owned and that became the data
set that would be later imported. The Stats Canada director who was at the
meeting said we'd turned the project into something quite different.

The City of Ottawa would need to change their license to align with the new
Federal one, that had to go to council but was eventually approved after a
delay of about a year.

The civil service and OSM are very, very different cultures.  The open data
would be imported by local mappers but only if they decided they would go
ahead.  We had two major targets in OSM, the locals and the heavies. Stats
had money so I suggested that the project manager attend SotM in europe.
Unfortunately at the last minute he was unable to attend but fortunately
his boss was and he met with a number of what I'd call the heavies of OSM.

The project manager and his assistant were dispatched to meet with the
local mappers and buy them coffee and flesh out the details.  We had a
group of enthusiastic mappers around, James was one of them.  They had a
half dozen physical meetings over coffee and agreed the import could go
ahead and that the local  OSM mappers would do it.

OSM has had a lot of substandard data imported into it over time so there
are now procedures to follow before importing the data.  Many mappers in
OSM, especially in Europe, don't exactly love data being imported and their
views are made known in the import process.  Getting approval to import is
not easy and dealing with the people involved was not easy either. You
can't just import, you have to have a process to deal with existing data in
the map. I'd have someone else do it.

The license was challenged. It would need to go to the Legal Working Group
for a benediction.  Their backlog was about three years.  However Mapbox
and others had heard about the project at the SotM and were interested.  I
understand one of their employees was a member of the LWG.  Somehow we got
the license approved for an import.  This is why the advice is to try to
use the same license.

When the first buildings were imported one mapper who lived in the area
challenged the import saying he hadn't been consulted. Eventually the talk
ca mailing group accepted consultation with local mappers had taken place
over a number of physical meetings and that due process had been followed.

We had further feedback from Montreal mappers that some details of the
imported buildings were to their mind not as they would prefer them to be
but the rule in OSM is what local mappers say goes and they were happy.

Does that give you a flavour of the problems?  The technical side is one
thing, the people side is something else.

Ottawa's approach was to release its open data under a license that could
be imported into OSM and I suggest that might well be the way forward.

Cheerio John