Robert, I applaud the Victoria government for using and collaborating on
OSM data! As others have shared I think direct government involvement with
and contributions to OSM are a great strategic direction.

Here in the USA our federal government is required by law to put all of its
publications in the public domain, which unfortunately disallows direct
contributions to OSM (though this public domain data is of course cleared
for inclusion in OSM by non-government contributors). In light of this
legal requirement, the OpenStreetMap-US foundation has partnered with US
Government agencies on the Public Domain Map project
<https://www.openstreetmap.us/our-work/public-domain-map>. This project
utilizes modified versions of the OSM tool-chain (database, schemas,
editors, etc) to allow government staff and volunteers to create and
validate map data in the public domain, making it possible to incorporate
in US Government works and be readied for downstream inclusion in OSM.

I wouldn't want to suggest that Public Domain Map is the best option if
national laws allow direct contributions to ODBl datasets, but did want to
mention it as I feel that Public Domain Map is a clever work-around to our
local legal situation that brings our government as close as it can to
preparing data for OSM without violating its own licencing rules.