note:
this was posted already at
https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/automatically-remove-obvious-descriptive-names-for-viewpoints-obvious-cases-only-not-all-suspect-objects/105892if
 you have seen that then rest of the post has no new content

posting also here as required by
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct
-------------

There are object types where mappers relatively often add invalid name tag that
repeats object type, and it is obvious enough that can be fixed remotely.

I was doing it with some objects, and in some cases it is often combined with
very problematic tagging nearby (can link some queries if anyone wants).

But for some objects use of obvious descriptive names is quite popular, to the
point that manual fixing cannot keep up AND it is possible to fix it with a bot
edit AND other tagging is typically fine. Sometimes there are clusters of other
objects with descriptive names, but these can be found independently.

And yes "Viewpoint" can be signed but it does not make it a name, like
"Viewpoint, entry 5 euro" is not a name either. Or "Viewpoint, no wheelchair
access".

Note
https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/is-name-toilet-even-theorethically-valid-for-amenity-toilets/105540
 where it was discussed

I propose to run automated cleanup for viewpoints. It would remove
name=viewpoint (and name=Viewpoint and name=VIEWPOINT) from objects tagged only
as viewpoints.

Note that this relies on assumption that object tagged like

- tourism=viewpoint
- name=Viewpoint

is always case of misusing name tag.

Objects which carry unexpected tags or tags not typical for viewpoints, or
note/fixme tags will be skipped. So for example

- tourism=viewpoint
- amenity=restaurant
- name=Viewpoint

well not be touched. In theoretical case of restaurant named "Viewpoint" which
is also viewpoint, such object will not be modified at all. So

- tourism=viewpoint
- waterway=waterfall
- name=Viewpoint

or

- tourism=viewpoint
- name=Viewpoint
- note=Actually named "Viewpoint"

would not be edited either.

(Though I do not expect last case to be ever validly tagged...)

Obviously objects with just

name=Viewpoint

would not be edited in this edit.

- tourism=viewpoint
- fee=yes
- name=VIEWPOINT

would be edited. Similarly with other  that are expected attributes of
viewpoints.

Bot edit would be worldwide, with edits split in parts. Edits would be repeated
in future.

Comments welcome - both if you see problems with this edit and if you support
it.