From: John Orford [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 10:42 PM
To: tanya-jawab@linux.or.id
Subject: Re: [tanya-jawab] Hello

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've just joined.  I'm from Ireland but will be visiting Jakarta /
Java /
> > Bali (and probably more) from next week for a month.
>
> Hello John, well before you get here I'd like to say: WELCOME TO
INDONESIA!

Hehe :)  actually I am looking forward to Indonesia a lot.  I've never
been to
Asia but have read lots about Asia and Indonesia in the last few years -
so
expectations are high!  I just hope that I can get used to the heat and
humidity - Ireland is the total opposite to indonesia weather-wise.

No problem john... You will!!

> > I have been given the task to breath life back into my Girlfriend's
> > family's home and office computers.  They use Windows 98 and sound
very
> > old.
>
> I don't think I understand your question here (my english's bad...very
> bad!), but I think you just want to say that you wanna change your
> Girlfriend's O/S, am I right with that?

Yeah.  (Your English is much better than my Indonesian ;))  Basically
they run
Win98 - and from what I hear they are full of viruses / spyware etc.

> > Anyway, I would appreciate if anyone could give me tips about good
> > internet cafes where I could download extra packages etc. that may
be
> > necessary, and also Bahasa Indonesia friendly distributions.  Plus,
your
> > opinions on easy to use software that will run on old hardware would
be
> > very helpful.
>
> I think I can't help you with this! but as long as I know, there's so
> much Internet cafe (we called it WARNET) in Depok, near the Gunadarma
> University! btw what do you mean by "extra packages"?

E.G. if i find a winmodem - and don't have the right driver, i'll need
download it...

> about the Bahasa
> Indonesia distribution, (I guess we're talking about GNU/Linux Distro
> here, right?) AFAIK there 's a distro that use bahasa indonesia as the
> default language called "BlankOn Linux", it's based on FedoraCore, but
> I think it would be too "heavy" for your Girlfriend's computer! why
> don't you use "Ubuntu Linux" anyway?

In my opinion Ubuntu might run too slowly on pentium 2 type machines (64
or
128 mb ram) - i have a 533mhz celeron, and it is quite slow.  i'm not
sure if
even XFCE would be quick enough.  I think stable debian may do the job,
with
KDE2, KDE 3 or XFCE.  For mail I'm thinking of sylpheed, browser would
be
konqueror, i think firefox would be too slow...  Office programs would
be
Windows 97 running under Crossover... - openoffice is probably too slow.

> you can contact me as soon as you
> come to jakarta if you want the (Ubuntu) CD's !

That'd be cool if we could meet up!  Do you guys meet up often?
Normally in
Ireland Linux club members meet every month or two...

> > Thanks a lot!
> >
> > John.
>
> You're Welcome John.
>
> > P.S.  linux.or.id looks great - our Irish LUG could learn a fair bit
from
> > you guys.
>
> That's too much! "We" should gives you a lot of Thanks for that, and
> I'm sorry for my English!

Well you have a wiki, forum, mailing list, blog pages... etc. - it all
seems
very promising.

> p/s: buat yang laen; koq ga ada yang mo bales sih? tunjukkan dong
> keramah-tamahan orang Indonesia!!!

:) as far as i remember i got two personal off list replies from members
- i'm
happy with the feedback i got.

Tidak bisa posting? Baca:
http://linux.or.id/problemmilis