> On 27. okt. 2015, at 15.00, Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlew...@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I didn’t say anything so far because I don’t mind to have a second protocol
> here, but I personally don’t see this doc as really needed. Effectively we
> will have two docs that have the same results (a list of features) at the end.

I think draft-welzl-taps-transports highlights how many services (or transport
features or whatever we want to call them) are lost when we just compile a list
as in draft-ietf-taps-transports.
To give a few examples: SCTP: "ordered and unordered delivery within a stream”
does not make it clear that you can in fact specify per-message whether
ordering matters or not.
In TCP, during the lifetime of a connection, you can change the DSCP value.
In TCP, you can open a connection to listen at one local interface or any; in
SCTP, you can specify a list of local interfaces

We can debate whether these things are unnecessary details, but they are things
that appear in draft-welzl-taps-transports as a result of the systematic
approach I’ve taken.

> I personally find the approach taken in the new doc even more arbitrary and
> reading this discussion of what should be in and out just underlines this
> point.

Even more arbitrary => could you please explain?
I think the discussion of what should be in and out has absolutely nothing to
do with the arbitrariness of the approach taken in the doc.

> From my point of view the taps-transports is ready now. Btw. we did not leave
> out (hopefully) any features of RTP, we just decided to keep the description
> very short and only focus in the description on those parts that are actually
> transport related.
>
> I agree that the taps-transport doc is quite long, but for the wg I don’t the
> the purpose of this doc in having it but in getting it. I mean the process we
> had so far to get this doc in the right shape was very helpful and I believe
> we are ready to move on. The only think that is interesting now for the wg is
> the final list of feature, which is there and ready to use.
>
> As a side note, I also believe that other people might be interesting in
> reading the doc for other reasons than participating in taps because it’s
> actually a quite nice overview doc now.

I agree that it’s a nice document and ready. As for “The only thing interesting
for the wg is he final list of features, which is there and ready to use”, see
the discussion above: the draft-ietf-taps-transports is a nice and useful
survey, but I do not think it is a good basis for an implementable TAPS system,
which we eventually want (doc 3).

Cheers,
Michael