In my opinion, being naive about what it takes to become as
accomplished and people like Grier and Compton is part of the
development of any musician.

 I would have a hard time believing anyone truly knows the depth of
what they are undertaking when they are first starting and part of
being a beginner is looking for shortcuts and then the eventual
realization that there truly aren't any.

I can understand someone's intolerance for constant questions about
shortcuts and gimmicks and what not but I think it's easy to forget
when ourselves were once in that position.

I think trying to find the shortcuts and then not finding them is part
of the development process of a musician. If this process didn't
happen I don't think we'd have the appreciation for someone like Grier
or Compton because the waded through the frustrations of learning and
made it through to the other side.

Part of being a good workshop leader or teacher in my opinion is
understanding that beginners and intermediate players aren't
necessarily lazy (although sometimes this may be the case) we are just
naive and don't understand what you've been through.