Robin,
Yea, it seems simple enough at first glance. But there's a lot going
on, as you're finding out. There are some timing issues, some odd
phrasing, ornaments that only make themselves known after a few
listenings, etc. In the end, if you hear it being played differently
on the ends, or the number of times through, go with it. Make it your
own.
taterbug