> > Thunderbird does so by opening 5 connection to 5 different >
> folders.Andas far as I know 5 is the limit. So if you are using more
> than 5 folders
> you have to enable syncronization anyway.
>
> Hmm... checked it again. With only 1 active connection Thunderbird works
> like you described - Inbox have to be selected to get new emails. But
> when I've enabled second connection it started to act as per my
> description. I have almost 60 subfolders in my Inbox and with 2 active
> connections and all synchronization options disabled I'm always getting
> instant notifications and proper filtering. It looks like with one
> available connection it idles in actually selected folder, but when
> there is more connections available one of them always idles on inbox.
> And I think this is very good compromise - good for me and good for you.
> Unfortunately I hate Thunderbird so I hope The Bat! will finally have
> good IMAP service.

I think that it should work the other way around. If 1 connection is available
then selected folder should be idled. And if more than 1 is used then one of
these connections should idle inbox. I would really hate The Bat! for using 2
connections just to IDLE. This really makes no sense from IMAP point of view.

--
  Vilius