Hei,

Nick Andriash wrote:

>> What could be a reason for doing so? No virus scanner can make sure
>> that a mail is virus free,

> Ok, why not?

Because a virus may spread a day before you get the corresponding virus
updates or because it is a virus which changes it's code dynamically. But
mainly the first problem, which makes a line like "this mail is virus
free" superfluous.

> You mean to say that if I scan a file/message with NAV or
> NOD32 and they report no viruses present... that they are lying? ;o)

No. There is a difference between "lying" and "do not say the truth".

> That may well be. Don't currently use the Program myself but I know it
> does in fact certify incoming/outgoing messages.

Then it's a stupid software which is used by people who don't know how a
virus scanner (and/or viruses) work. It kind of reminds me of people using
a personal firewall and saying "my PC is safe and free of trojans".

> Yes, but that is already an inherent feature of the majority of top
> level AV Scanners.

I don't know a scanner which in fact removes viruses from downloaded
mails (on the client side). Can you name one?

--
Regards, Günther
Automatic virus scanning with F-PROT, ROT13 and some S/MIME bugs: