Lars

On Friday, January 25, 2002 1:19 PM you wrote:
L> The only problem I see is in the communication between TB! and the AV
L> program. How to tell TB! that a virus was found? Via a return code?

We use a program for our IMAIL mail server that does this very thing.
It is called Declude by Scott Perry at Computerized Horizons.
Basically we use it with both f-prot and Network Associates or
McaFfee. Normally f-prot catches everything. It is very rare that a
virus makes it to McAffee.

Imail has a hook that allows this to work.  The hook is set so that a
message is presented to the program pointed to by the hook instead of
the Queue.  Then Declude grabs the message, parses it, and presents
the file to whatever command line scanner you've configured.  Declude
waits on the response from the scanner and places the message back in
the queue if no virus is found.  If a virus is found then the message
is quarantined.  Emails can be generated to various sources then
depending upon configuration.

In my declude configuration for f-prot for instance I have a line like
this:
SCANFILE C:\F-Prot\F-Prot.exe /TYPE /SILENT /NOMEM
  /ARCHIVE /NOFLOPPY /NOBOOT /DUMB /REPORT=report.txt
VIRUSCODE 3
VIRUSCODE 6
REPORT Infection

The first and 2nd line above tells the declude program which scan
engine to call and what cmd line switches to use. The viruscode lines
tell declude the code response to expect from the scanner on finding a
virus. The REPORT line tells declude what string to look for in
report.txt to identify the virus name.

People are using this product with various cmd line scanners with
great success.

It might not hurt for TB! programmers to contact Scott Perry since
this would be a similar application as I see it.

Terry Fritts
the Bat! 1.54 Beta/31
Windows NT 5.0 Build 2195