Hello Allie,

> You don't need a 'business' account to use your own mailserver. I've
> never had a business account and my only regret is that I took so long
> to start using my own mailserver. It was actually saving me money in
> the early stages of using one since it avoided my having to pay for an
> extra POP account for my wife.

Ok my error. I should have simply stated you need a ISP whose internet
gateway will provide the ability for having a mailserver. I should
probably check into such an account due to my interest here.

> I used MDaemon while I had a dial-up connection. In fact, I gravitated
> to using MDaemon since it had so many features that made it suitable
> for just what I needed.

Options & flexibility.

> Currently, all my domain mail for ac-martin.com is collected and
> placed in a single remote POP account. One POP account that works just
> like yours. Not a 'business' account.

Since I've never used my own mailserver I may ask some questions that
sound stupid, but I'll ask anyway. Is this one Pop account at your ISP,
or do you have MDaemon receive mail directly from the Internet? If it is
direct than I would imagine you have a static IP, correct?

> MDaemon downloads mail from it and then distributes the mail to local
> POP accounts.

Sounds like one Pop account at your ISP goes into your own mailserver,
MDaemon.

> My wife and I then use our clients on our different machines to fetch
> our mail from MDaemon.

What differentiates your mail from your wife's?

It sounds like you have a domain name registered with email forwarding.
You have the various email accounts with your domain name at your
registrar being forwarded to the one Pop account at your ISP, then have
MDaemon download from your ISP. Is this correct?

> MDaemon sends mail so there's no need to be concerned about ISP and
> the SMTP server restrictions involved.

Again I get back to the TOS of your ISP. You must have a gateway to the
internet which does NOT provide restrictions in this area such as
blocking port 25.

> A local mailserver can really get rid of a lot of the headaches
> involved in using multiple remote POP accounts, ISP's and SMTP servers
> while managing e-mail. Not to mention if you have your own domain mail
> to manage, a not too far fetched concept now that domain names are
> cheap to acquire.

I have to many Pop accounts. Once they are set up in TB it isn't much of
a problem, but still to many. I'd like to check into your configuration,
but it would require a change in my ISP.

Greg Strong
TB! v1.63 Beta/11 on Windows XP Service Pack 1

 Current beta is 1.63b11 | "Using TBBETA" information: