Greg Strong, [GS] wrote:

I'm cc'ing this response to TBOT so we can continue there.

GS> Ok my error. I should have simply stated you need a ISP whose
GS> internet gateway will provide the ability for having a mailserver. I
GS> should probably check into such an account due to my interest here.

I think you will find it useful.

>> I used MDaemon while I had a dial-up connection. In fact, I gravitated
>> to using MDaemon since it had so many features that made it suitable
>> for just what I needed.

GS> Options & flexibility.

Yes.

GS> Since I've never used my own mailserver I may ask some questions
GS> that sound stupid, but I'll ask anyway. Is this one Pop account at
GS> your ISP,

I originally used a single POP account at my ISP. Now I use two POP
accounts remotely on a friends server. But they are POP accounts just
the same.

MDaemon and Mercury/32 the two mailservers I'm most acquainted with have
support for downloading mail from remote POP servers pretty much like
how a normal e-mail client does. The advantage of the mailserver here is
that it can parse the downloaded mail and sort them to local POP
accounts. You can use filters to do this or let the mailserver use it's
parsing mechanisms to sort the mail to specific accounts based on the
recipients for each message. One immediate example of what this allows
you is funnelling mail from many remote POP accounts to one local
account that TB! downloads from. It also elegantly provides a solution
for the wish that is often expressed, i.e., the wish to download mail
from one POP account into two TB! accounts so that the filters for each
TB! account will work on the messages that reach each TB! accounts
inbox.

GS> or do you have MDaemon receive mail directly from the Internet?

No, I don't do this. Never did, though I've thought about it.

GS> If it is direct than I would imagine you have a static IP, correct?

Never did have one. :)

>> MDaemon downloads mail from it and then distributes the mail to local
>> POP accounts.

GS> Sounds like one Pop account at your ISP goes into your own
GS> mailserver, MDaemon.

Yes. Instead of TB! doing the downloading, which it could. I however,
use MDaemon so that I can sort the mail to be downloaded by multiple
clients, from separate MDaemon POP accounts.

GS> What differentiates your mail from your wife's?

Her e-mail address. Her's is [EMAIL PROTECTED] while mine is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] .

GS> It sounds like you have a domain name registered with email
GS> forwarding.

Yes. I used to use e-mail forwarding. Now I have a server that collects
my domain mail and put them in a single POP account for me to retrieve
at my convenience.

GS> You have the various email accounts with your domain name at your
GS> registrar being forwarded to the one Pop account at your ISP, then
GS> have MDaemon download from your ISP. Is this correct?

Yes. I did *exactly* this about a year ago, until I found someone
willing to handle my domain mail. However, as I said, the system works
no differently from what I did with my ISP.

GS> Again I get back to the TOS of your ISP. You must have a gateway to
GS> the internet which does NOT provide restrictions in this area such
GS> as blocking port 25.

For sending mail? No. My ISP doesn't block outgoing SMTP connections
from their customer IP's. Not for dialup and not for ADSL, which I now
have. If this happens to you then this is an exception rather than the
rule.

GS> I have to many Pop accounts. Once they are set up in TB it isn't
GS> much of a problem, but still to many. I'd like to check into your
GS> configuration, but it would require a change in my ISP.

Why?

--
 -= allie_M =- | List Moderator

 Current beta is 1.63b11 | "Using TBBETA" information: