Clive Taylor wrote:

> I've crossed this bridge, Keith. Although I miss some of TB's
> features, rock-solid, fast IMAP performance is more important to me
> for my domain mail and I don't regret a penny I spent on a licence for
> Mulberry. Time will tell whether I can say the same about the
> (admittedly small) sum I spent on the v3 upgrade to TB.

I didn't know I'd see the day when I could defend TB! where IMAP is
concerned. I do have a Mulberry license and I've been around the bend
with it. I've had the assistance with Gary, another Mulberry user, and
now have a good grasp of how it works and why I have problems with it.

TB! definitely is the better IMAP client for me. The IMAP experience
seems to depend on your IMAP server and your connection speeds. I
currently have been having stability problems with Mulberry. It often
crashes while sending mail. I'm not sure why. I thought I had it down to
a pattern and thought I could work around it. However, I was wrong.

Mulberry is heavily modal when busy working with the server. You have to
wait for it to do it's thing before you get a chance to do other things
like editing a message or fiddling with settings. It's very slow when I
wish to thread my mail. In fact, it's slower than TB! even when doing
straight header retrieval for threading. I wish it would stop asking me
if I wish to thread using what information on messages I already have vs
retrieving all information for full threading of the message list.
Threading just what is there is quicker, but there's no apparent way to
prevent that popup query from appearing. If your IMAP server supports
threading, then this will all not be a problem for you. If you suddenly
lose your connection, the message you're reading disappears from view.
So you need a reliable connection with Mulberry. I'm having problems
with Mulberry recognizing PGP/MIME signed messages sent to TBUDL and
TBBETA. It seems to ignore them completely. However, PGP/MIME signed
messages sent privately are fine. I don't know what the difference is.
The last straw occurred when I noted that Mulberry kept sending messages
with parts of my signature text missing. The last few characters would
be missing.

Now, I'm not saying all these things about Mulberry to start a TB! vs
Mulberry exchange. My point is that for each person, the experience with
one client as opposed to another can be very different. So for those
reading, and who wish to start using IMAP, do not assume that your TB!
experience will be terrible or unreliable or problematic. Furthermore,
don't assume that Mulberry will be rock-solid. :) TB! is the more stable
client from where I'm sitting and using the server I use.

I admit that TB! doesn't support all the protocol specific features that
clients like Mulberry do. However, Mulberry does depend on the server
supporting all IMAP protocol features. If the server doesn't, then
Mulberry can become a problem since it's speed and functionality does
depend on good and extensive protocol support by servers. I'm having a
highly reliable experience with TB! at the moment. This is so
not-withstanding the lack of some functionality. However, weighing the
pros and cons of each experience, Mulberry, ThunderBird and TB!; at the
moment TB! is my winner. For Clive, it's Mulberry.

Just see how it is for you. Don't give up immediately since TB! can
likely be made to work better for you, especially where operating speed
and responsiveness is concerned.

Here ends my advocacy. :)

--
Allie Martin

 Current beta is 3.0.1 RC/7 | 'Using TBBETA' information: